Link your IBM i system to the modern business server world! This book presents easier and more flexible ways to get data into your IBM i system, along with rather surprising methods to export and present the vital business data it contains. You'll learn how to automate file transfers, seamlessly connect PC applications with your RPG programs, and much more. Input operations will become more flexible and user-proof, with self-correcting import processes and direct file transfers that require a minimum of user intervention. Also learn novel ways to present information: your DB2 data will look great on program-generated spreadsheets and browser-based, interactive charts. All the solutions presented are based on existing open-source tools or were created from scratch by the author. The full source code, plus sample programs that are easy to understand and adapt, are provided with the book. Readers can integrate these input/output methods into their own applications, providing flexible, integrated, and modern solutions—all from RPG ILE programs, without having to increase the application landscape complexity with new servers and programming languages.
- Possess new ways to link your IBM i to the outside world
- Know how to automate boring tasks such as file transfers
- Be able to create and read and write files on the IFS from an RPG program
- Understand how to prevent and correct user errors in .csv import files
- Be able to create beautiful interactive charts directly from your RPG code without having to learn a new programming language